Maintaining the correct generator distance from the house is an incredibly important aspect of handling a generator.
Typically, generators should be located at least 20 feet away from home.
Also, please note that the generator exhaust pipe should not point towards or even towards windows or doors in any way.
Incorrect placement can be fraught with enormous problems, which include improper cooling, overheating, and, furthermore, it can greatly affect your health.
Generator placement tips
Forget about running the generator in the rain
Rain can significantly affect device performance and damage internal components. If you need it, you have the option to buy generator tents. They have a good level of protection and, at the same time, do not interfere with normal air circulation, which is incredibly important in fact.
Think about spare fuel
When you install the home generator, think about how often you will be using it. If it is in working order all the time – foresee the chance that you will run out of gasoline at the most inopportune moment. Store fuel in a cool place away from sunlight.
CO safety technology
Modern generator models, although they cost a lot, have a useful feature that determines the level of carbon monoxide. If the concentration of this substance exceeds the norm, the generator turns off in emergency mode.
Filling the engine correctly
If you are going to refuel the engine, wait for the system to cool down for a few minutes. Gasoline is a highly flammable substance that can catch fire without any problems if it gets on the hot parts of a mechanism that was just working.
Minimize the risk of electric shock
Observe safety rules and connect devices directly to the generator. If, however, they are far away and you plan to use an extension cord, be careful. Depending on the generator placement, select the optimal length and select it in such a way that the power rating is higher than or equal to the sum of loads of the connected devices. It is also very important that the device plugs have all three pins. This is incredibly important to protect against electric shock or in the event that water gets into the equipment.